Sunday, February 22, 2009

Food - NO MAS!

Today I realized Spanish TV can actually be fun to watch. For example, "Jon and Kate plus 8" is really quite humorous watching it dubbed in Spanish. Or watching "Girls Next Door" with spanish subtitles, or even fashion TV in Spanish entertained mm for a good two hrs.

After spending the morning watching Spanish TV, we went to the Recoleta outdoor market. It's an outdoor market in the park next to the cemetery. Vendors sell all kinds of things there from purses made of newspaper to leather shoes, tea pots and painted tango pictures. You could spend hrs walking around the hundred's of booths.




On the way home, we stopped at Un Altra Volta, which is an ice cream shop a co-worker recommended. It was the best ice cream I have ever had. I tried a cone with American Cookies (basically cookies and cream) and dulce de leche grazinado. Even their cones tasted better. Muy bien!



After an afternoon siesta, we went to a restaurant recommended by some of my co-workers called Piegari. The restaurant is located underneath a highway underpass in an area called La Recova.

Holy crappers was the food good. It was Italian with portions big enough to share, but of course we got our own. We started with the best calamari ever. Unlike the states, it didn't come with cocktail sauce, but rather with a mayonnaise based cream sauce. We decided to be "Healthy" and get a side of broccoli to share. (A side note, Argentinians don't eat that many veggies. I can count on one hand other than salads, veggies offered with a meal. They have no veggies, and serve a bread basket with EVERY meal, including breakfast. Carbs overload!). The broccoli was so good and I admired that they didn't burn their garlic, the way I do every single time I try to saute something. For my entree, I had Ravioles Negros de Salmon. Black ravioli (which I've never seen) filled with salmon and covered with cream sauce, almonds and mushrooms. So fabulous and so rich. After dinner, we had to have dessert of course. So we ordered profiterole and Torta de dulce de leche (or Cheese Cake). At this point, I was stuffed beyond capacity. Here's a photo of Mark, who looks like he is the "pregnant man".



Of course, the night ended like all the other ones have, with several glasses on Malbec and my promise of "no mas food". Yeah right.

No comments:

Post a Comment